SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (P2)
The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) is a strategic institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for coordinating the development of human resources and research in the EAC Higher Education Institutions. The main objectives of IUCEA are to (i) facilitate networking among universities in East Africa, and with universities outside the region; (ii) provide a forum for discussion on a wide range of academic and other matters relating to higher education in East Africa; and (iii) facilitate maintenance of internationally comparable education standards in East Africa so as to promote the region’s global competitiveness in higher education.
In order to fulfill its current mandate and to meet all its objectives, IUCEA now wishes to recruit a qualified person for the position of: Senior Accountant – P2- due to falling vacant on 5th November 2022.
Online applications are invited from qualified individuals only from any of the following EAC Partner States due to the Quota System requirements:
- Republic of Burundi
- Republic of Kenya
- Republic of Rwanda
- Republic of South Sudan
- United Republic of Tanzania
Candidates from South Sudan are strongly encouraged to apply.
Description of the Positions
Job Reports to: Principal Accountant
Job Supervises: Accountants and Accounts Assistants/Cashier
Job Purpose: The job holder will coordinate efficient financial resource utilization and ensure that all payments are made in compliance with the rules and regulations and other directives of the Governing Board/Executive Committee as may be directed from time to time. S/He coordinates activities of Payroll, Receivables, Payables, Fixed Assets, Examination and Cash Payment.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide leadership to accounts staff
- Undertake management accounting and preparation of final accounts and statements
- Implement IUCEA financial policies, rules regulations/guideline and procedures
- Reconciliation and maintenance of general ledger accounts
- Prepare financial progress and expenditure reports for donors
- Implementation of recommendations made on audit observations
- Verification of Payment Vouchers and control expenditure
- Maintain records of contributions by the Partner States and higher education institutions
- Advice on proper administration of donor funds in line with the signed agreements
- Collate financial estimates and monitor monthly payroll to ensure accuracy of calculations and meeting deadlines
- Provide logistical support to meetings held away from workstations
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned by the Principal Accountant from time to time
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely annual financial statements
- Monthly payroll reports
- Bank reconciliation statements reviewed and approved
- Properly kept financial records
- Progress reports for donors prepared regularly and timely
Minimum Job Requirements
Minimum master’s degree in finance and/or Accounting from a recognized university
Certified Public Accountant (CPA, ACCA) or its equivalent
Minimum eight years, of which 3 years MUST be at senior position preferably in either in public Institution or a busy private established organization.
Must have knowledge of financial accounting principles and international accounting standards. Ability to operate SUN accounting software and knowledge of financial information systems. S/He must be computer literate and able to provide team leadership, create a conducive and empowering work environment which promotes creativity and innovation among staff, coach, mentor and motivate staff, manage diversity, conflict and change, effectively communicate, have presentation, judgment and decision-making skills.
3.0 Tenure and Remuneration
As per the EAC Staff Rules and Regulations, the successful applicant for this post shall serve for a five-year term renewable once. A comprehensive remuneration package commensurate with the EAC Professional Job Grades and Diplomatic status shall be offered to the suitable candidate. Additional details on these packages may be obtained from the undersigned.
4.0 Age Limit
Applicants should not be more than 55 years as the EAC retirement age is 60 years.
The successful candidate shall be notified of his/her appointment by the last week of May, 2022 to give him/her enough time to also give notice to his/her employer.
6.0 Submission of Applications
The deadline for submission of application forms to the IUCEA Secretariat is 30th April, 2022. Application forms should be downloaded and filled online accompanied with the following:
- Certified copies of the applicant’s degree awards
- Up to date and comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- Addresses of three referees, one of which should be of the current immediate supervisor.
- Any other relevant supporting documents
Applications should be marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF SENIOR ACCOUNTANT”
Applicants are requested to complete the online form on this link https://bit.ly/3Ko1iA4 and submit an application and the necessary documents electronically to the following address:
The Chairperson, Executive Committee
Inter-University Council for East Africa
P.O. Box 7110, Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 256 251/2
NOTE : IUCEA will not accept hand-delivered applications. Applicants must complete application forms as indicated above. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.