CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: TWO-YEAR FUNDED MASTERS’ OPPORTUNITY FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2021/2022 (COHORT 3).
IUCEA hereby invites suitably qualified nationals of the East African Community (EAC) to apply for cohort 3 of the KfW- funded Scholarships, to pursue Master’s studies in the EAC Partner State other than their own.
Opening date: August 27th 2021
Closing date: September 17th, 2021 not later than 17:00 hours, East African Time Thematic areas:
- Mathematics 3) Informatics 5) Technology
- Engineering 4) Science 6) Business Science
Eligible applicants: Young nationals (aged below 35 years) of the EAC Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda).
Duration of the Scholarship: 2 years
The EAC Scholarship Programme is an initiative of the East African Community (EAC) and the Federal Republic of Germany. The project began in 2018 when the EAC Secretariat and Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) entered into a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with KfW (German Development Bank) geared towards the training of students within the EAC Region. This Project aims at creating future change agents, who identify themselves with the integration agenda of the EAC and are willing to share economic and development-oriented expert knowledge.
The goal of this initiative is to contribute towards training leaders that will foster the EAC Regional integration. This goal will be partly achieved through the establishment of academic collaboration between universities/institutions within the EAC Region, by encouraging students to study in countries other than their own. In order to achieve these impacts, the project offers a comprehensive package including scholarships for Master’s programmes, internships, mentoring, networking events and further leadership training activities. The scholarship will support Master’s students in i) Mathematics, ii) Engineering, iii) Informatics, iv) Science, v) Technology and vi) Business Science programmes.
The students are required to apply to study in another EAC country (not their country of origin).
Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. This Programme will include a minimum of 30% female students and special consideration will be given to Burundian and South Sudanese female applicants.
2. SCHOLARSHIP PACKAGE
Up to 63 scholarships are available in the 2021/2022 academic year.
The scholarship covers the following:
- Return economy air ticket between the candidate’s home and host countries
- University tuition fees: payable directly to the university against official invoice;
- Stipend: EUR380 per month to support living expenses including housing, food, utilities, local transportation and settlement expenses;
- Allowances for study materials and research: EUR 1,500 one-off allowance;
- Medical insurance; and
- Extracurricular events: at least one event per year.
3. ELIGIBLE PROGRAMMES
Students will apply to pursue their studies in the following programmes. Please ensure that you have applied for a programme in a university outside your country of origin.
|#||Programmes||Thematic Area||University/ Institution||Country|
|1||Master of Science in Advanced Manufacturing and Automation Engineering||Engineering||
|2||Master of Science in Leather Technology||Technology|
|3||Master of Science in Food Science & Technology||Technology|
|4||Master of Science in Geothermal Energy Technology||Technology|
|5||Master of Science in Physics||Science||
|6||Master of Science in Biotechnology||Science|
|7||Master of Science in Crop Protection (Plant Pathology)||Science|
|8||Master of Science in Integrated Soil Fertility
|9||Master of Science in Applied Mathematics||Mathematics|
|10||Master of Science in Entrepreneurship||Business Science||Kenya|
|11||Master of Business Administration with I.T||Business Science||
|12||Master of Science in Human Resource Management||Business Science|
|13||Master of Business Administration||Business Science|
|14||Master of Science in ICT||Informatics|
|15||Master of Science in Meteorology||Science||University of Nairobi|
|16||Master of Art in Microfinance||Business Science||
|17||Master of science in Taxation||Business Science|
|18||Master of Science in Conservation and Natural Resources Management||Science||
|19||Master of Science in Physics||Science|
|20||Master of Public Infrastructures Management||Business Science||
|21||Master of Science in Zoology, Entomology and Fisheries Science||Science|
|22||Master of Science in Statistics||Business Science|
|23||Master of Science in Technology, Innovation and Industrial Development||Technology|
|24||Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering||Engineering|
|25||Master of Science in Quantitative Economics||Business Science|
|26||Master of Science in Biology||Science||Mbarara University of Science & Technology|
|27||Master of Science in Chemistry||Science|
|28||Master of Science in Medical Lab science||Science|
|29||Master of Business Management||Business Science||Moshi Co-operative
|30||Master of Arts in Cooperative and Community Development||Business Science|
|31||Master of Arts in Procurement and Supply Management||Business Science|
|32||Master of Science in Irrigation Engineering and Management||Engineering||Sokoine University of Agriculture|
|33||Master of Science in Information Technology||Informatics||University of Dodoma|
|34||Master of Science in Mathematics||Mathematics|
|35||Master of Science in Chemistry||Science|
|36||Master of Science in Petroleum GeoSciences||Science|
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA The minimum requirements for qualification into the Programme are:
- Be a national of a partner state of the East African Community;
- Be below 35 years of age at the time of application
- Possess at least an equivalent of Upper Second-Class Honours or “Distinction” as applicable;
- Have obtained an admission from a university in another country of the EAC Region other than their own.
- Submit a motivation letter in English (with not more than 500 words) as follows:
- Well written (grammatically and professionally)
- Demonstrates a convincing motivation for wanting to pursue the Master’s Programme chosen
- Adequately demonstrates the applicant’s foreseen professional engagement in EAC Integration agenda after completing the Master’s Programme
- Demonstrates how they expect to apply the acquired skills and knowledge from the Master’s Programme to contribute to the EAC Integration Agenda
- Demonstrates where they anticipate seeing themselves professionally and academically in 5 and 10 years.
Note: This has to be one typed letter for each programme and converted to PDF.
5. APPLICATION PROCESS
The application process is two-fold and each MUST be completed separately
- Application for admission to the university;
Step 1: Identify the programme and University of their choice from section 4 above that contains Eligible Programmes;
Step 2: Fill the application form for admission to the university of choice (this can be found on the university website). Ensure you pay the University application fee.
Step 3: Submit the completed university application form and its supporting documents to the university indicating that you intend to apply for the EAC Scholarship Programme.
Notes: (1) Candidates may apply to more than one University.
(2) Candidates may apply for more than one programme; however, each programme should have its own application form and attachments.
- Application for the EAC Scholarship
Step 4: Register online for the EAC scholarship (https://forms.gle/Nh36sAxUc4Vsn1ex8)
Step 6: Submit the filled application form in step 5 and supporting documents in pdf format as one zipped folder electronically to;
- email@example.com and
- firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the subject line as; YOUR NAME, PROGRAMME APPLIED FOR AND UNIVERSITY e.g. Tsavo Simba, MBA at
Supporting Documents are;
- A letter of motivation for applying for the scholarship (find the structure of the letter in Section 4-e above)
- Signed curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates and transcripts.
- A copy of the university Application Form and its attachments.
- A recent passport photograph in colour of your full head and upper shoulders.
- Evidence of Nationality of a Partner State in the East African Community such as copy of national identity card/ passport/birth certificate.
- Any other form of evidence required in the application form e.g. medical reports, photos and letters of reference.
Note: (1) Applicants with academic qualifications obtained from foreign institutions must be equated by the National Council/ Commission for Higher Education in their respective countries.
(2) Applicants with supporting documents (transcripts, certificates among others) in languages other than English are required to submit both the originals and copies translated to the English language by an accredited language translations provider.