The application period for KDU Global – IUCEA Scholarships 2022 is now open for students from the IUCEA member countries (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) to study in various English medium undergraduate degree programs at Kyungdong University (KDU) Global Campus – one of the leading international educational institutions in South Korea!
Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for the coordination of higher educational development and research. One of the functions of IUCEA is to advise the EAC and the partner states on all matters regarding higher education including operationalization of EAC Common Higher Education Area. The mission of IUCEA is to encourage and develop mutually beneficial collaborations between and among the member universities, governments, and other organizations, both public and private.
The main purpose of KDU Global – IUCEA Scholarships is to promote sustainable and inclusive development in the EAC member countries by nurturing and delivering highly demanded professionals in the areas of business administration, hotel management and tourism, and computing technologies. Currently, over 50 students from the EAC nations are studying at KDU Global. KDU Global and IUCEA have jointly committed to expanding the GACC network throughout East Africa and exposing the talented youth of the communities to global opportunities.
KDU is a private university fully accredited by the Korean Ministry of Education and certified by International Education Quality Assurance System. KDU Global is located in Goseong (Gangwondo province) – one of the most beautiful touristic destinations in South Korea with exceptional natural surroundings. KDU Global has established and facilitates the worldwide network of Global Academic Collaboration Centers (GACC) offering thousands of students internationally competitive education and countless global opportunities based on a common academic platform.
II. Scholarship Description
- Target level: Undergraduate degree
- Majors offered: Smart Computing, Business Administration, Hotel Management
- Medium of instruction: English
- Duration: 4 years / 8 semesters subject to excellent academic performance each semester of study and complying with KDU Global internal rules and regulations (Over 95% of the previous IUCEA Scholarship recipients maintained an average mark over 80% (in a 100% scale) in each semester).
- Expected commencement: September 2022
- Number of scholarships: 30 (5 per EAC Partner States)
III. Scholarship Benefits:
The scholarship covers the followings:
- The full tuition fee of $10,000 per year for up to 4 years (by KDU Global).
- On-campus accommodation fee of $1,600 per year up to 4 years (by KDU Global)
- Return air ticket at the beginning and the end of every two years (by IUCEA)
- Health insurance support every month for 4 years (by IUCEA)
- Application processing and handling fee of $200 after selection (by IUCEA)
Students and their guardians/sponsors are liable for subsistence expenses estimated to be around $250 per month based on average students’ cost of living in South Korea.
IV. Entry Requirements
Applicants must meet the following general eligibility requirements:
- Citizen and resident of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda).
- Completion of the pre-university level of education in the home country in 2020 or 2021.
- Excellent academic performance records with a minimum of ‘B’ in all mathematics and English modules.
- Selected applicants are required to present a minimum of IELTS 5.5 or IBT 71 of English proficiency prior to their final admission to KDU Global. Applicants whose first language is English might be exempted from this requirement.
- No older than 22 years of age.
V. Selection Process
All applicants will be subjected to a merit-based two-stage selection process.
Stage I: IUCEA shall conduct the preliminary selection of candidates. Interested applicants must submit either electronic or hard copies of the following documents to the IUCEA Office in Kampala, Uganda:
- Complete the electronic form on this link https://forms.office.com/r/q3vxPTEgNY
- submit the hardcopy Application Form
9690 downloads 01-03-2022 9:27 Download 7.4 MB
- Statement of Interest to the Executive Secretary of IUCEA,
- Upload required documents;
- Recent passport photograph in colour with a clear shot of face and upper shoulders
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae (CV) including names and contacts of two references.
- Two letters of reference (the same referees as in CV, one of the referees should be the Head of the Institution where the student completed his/her secondary school).
- Certified copies of national pre-university certificates and transcripts (Provisional Results will only be temporarily acceptable if endorsed by the Issuing National Agency).
- Evidence of citizenship and residency of a Partner State in the East African Community: passport/ National ID and residency attest is required.
All documents must be combined into one PDF file and submitted to IUCEA by April 15, 2022.
Stage II: KDU Global will conduct individual assessments and confirm the final selections. Candidates might be required to submit additional documents and designated forms if deemed necessary.
Final selection notices will be sent out to the successful candidates only by May 23, 2022.
VI. KDU Global Admission
Scholarship recipients will submit final admission documents to KDU Global as listed here: Admission>Documents Required | Kyungdong University (kduniv.ac.kr) upon receiving additional guidelines.
VII. Important Dates
|1||Submission of application documents to IUCEA||April 15, 2022|
|2||Preliminary evaluation and selection||May 13, 2022|
|3||Final selection notices||May 23, 2022|
|4||Submission of Scholarship Agreement Forms||May 30, 2022|
|5||Submission of KDU Global Admissions||June 10, 2022|
|6||Issuance of admission and visa support documents||June 17, 2022|
|7||Visa applications and processing||June 20 ~ July 1, 2022|
|8||Travel Preparations including air-ticket issuance||June 27, 2022|
|9||Arrival and orientation sessions at Kyungdong University Global Campus||August 8, 2022|
|10||Commencements of programs of study||August 29, 2022|
With additional inquiries regarding the KDU Global – IUCEA Scholarships 2022 please contact: